Low-level laser (light) therapy (LLLT) is a form of laser medicine that uses low-level (low-power) lasers or light-emitting diodes (LEDs) to alter cellular function. Other names for the therapy include low-power laser, soft laser, cold laser, biostimulation laser, therapeutic laser, and laser acupuncture. Whereas high-power lasers ablate tissue, low-power lasers are claimed to stimulate it and to encourage the cells to function.
LLLT is integrated with mainstream medicine with ongoing research to determine where there is a demonstrable effect. Areas of dispute include the ideal location of treatment (specifically whether LLLT is more appropriately used over nerves versus joints, dose, wavelength, timing, pulsing and duration The effects of LLLT appear to be limited to a specified set of wavelengths of laser, and administering LLLT below the dose range does not appear to be effective.
Despite a lack of consensus over its scientific validity, some recent meta-analyses and controlled studies of moderate quality suggest that LLLT might be effective for various medical indications such as:breast-cancer related lymphedema, hair loss,hypothyroidism, musculoskeletal pain, nonspecific chronic low-back pain, oral mucositis, shoulder tendinopathy, wisdom tooth extraction (complications), wound healing.
According to ClinicalTrials.gov database, LLLT is currently being studied in clinical trials for various treatment indications. In 2014, more than 400 scientific articles on LLLT were published.
Animal studies have been conducted to investigate the effectiveness of LLLT on various indications, e.g. allergic asthma, Alzheimer’s disease, arthritis, atherosclerosis, colitis, diabetes, heart failure, laryngitis, liver regeneration, lung injury, multiple sclerosis, myocardial infarction, nerve injury, osteomyelitis and Parkinson’s disease.
Our training has a purpose to prepare medical staff for it application like a one alternative method of treatment with light.
Our own experience with the effects of treatment we want to share with you and you learn about proper application.
Fundamentals of Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) & PhotoTherapy
- Why LLLT
– Purpose of this Fundamentals course, differentiation between photobiomodulation and laser accupuncture, cautionary note about unsubstantiated claims for LLLT
2. Fundamentals of PhotoBiology
— Mechanisms of action and examples of common photobiological reactions
3. Basics of Lasers, Light, and Energy Concepts
— Conceptual physics, electromagnetic spectrum, types of lasers and wavelengths, non-laser light sources, dosimetry parameters including irradiance, radiant exposure, flux, wavelength penetration, pulsing and CW characteristics, delivery systems.
4. Types of Laser/Light Tissue Interactions
— Thermal including Selective Photothermolysis (aesthetic uses), Photoacoustic,
Photodisassociation, Photochemistry (PDT), and Photo Biomodulation (LLLT)
5. Light Sources – Laser and Non-Laser, and relevant Parameters
— coherent vs. incoherent light sources and examples, Dose – radiant exposure vs total dose, parameters of spot size, power, pulse time and/or scan rates, polarization, local vs systemic effects.
6. Laser Safety and Regulations
— A.N.S.I. 136.3 Laser Safety Standards, differentiation of training and credentialing vs licensing, Laser Classification System, Eye Hazards, Other related Laser Hazards, A.N.S.I. based training requirements, Nominal Hazard Zones (NHZ) and Laser Treatment Controlled Areas (LTCA)
7. LLLT Applications – “PhotoBiomodulation” related.
— wound healing, chronic pain, arthritis, sports injuries, carpal tunnel syndrome, low thyroid, diabetes, neuronal toxicity, nerve regeneration, stroke treatment, skin rejuvenation, hair growth
8. LLLT Applications – “Acupuncture” related.
— Aid to Stop Smoking, and Weight Loss
9. Summary of Common Photobiological Reactions in LLLT
— Mitochondrial Respiratory Chain, Nitrous Oxide formation from UV light, Cytochrome C Oxidase,
Cell Signaling and Redox State, etc.
- Basic principles of skin irradiation
- Basic principles of equipment
- Protocols for treatment in different conditions
- Evaluation of results of treatment
References of Head of training-Prof.dr.Elizabeta Popova Ramova
- Popova Ramova E. : Practicum for physical therapy, for physiotherapist. Bitola 2010. ISBN-978-9989-2900-7-7.
- Popova Ramova, A. Poposka, M.Lazovic.: The ultrasonography evaluation of knee artritis during physical therapy with low level laser. V Congres Multidisciplinare Nacionale,6-9 ockt.2010, Mantova, Italy. Abstract book: 29-32. ISBN 978-88-6261-182-4.
- Popova Ramova, A. Poposka, M.Lazovic.: Evaluation of effects of two different physical therapy assesments guidelines by patients witrh acute ankle sprains. 6th International congress of EFOST, 25th-27th November 2010. Brussels, Belgium. http://www.efost2010.com/free_papers.aspx.
- Popova Ramova, A Poposka, M.Lazovic: The ultrasonography Evaluation of Knee Osteoartritis during Physical Therapy with Low Level Laser and Sonophoresis. Journal of US-China Medical Science, Apr.2011,Vol.8No 4.(Serial No77)pp.237-241.online ISSN (1930-2088).
- Popova Ramova E, Poposka A.: the low level laser in treatment of knee arthrosis. 5Th European congress of EMLA, Praga 19-21 sept.2005. Book of abstracts: 18.
- .Popova Ramova E.,Poposka A.: The low level laser in treatment of soft tissue knee lesion. 6ThInternacional congress of the Word Association of laser therapy.Lemesos, Cyprus 25-28.10.2006. Book of abstracts:42.
- Popova Ramova E.,Poposka A.: The LLL in treatment of distorsion ankle joint trauma.6ThInternacional congress of the Word Association of laser therapy. Lemesos, Cyprys 25-28.10.2006. Book of abstracts:43.
- Popova Ramova E. Poposka A.: Physical therapy and medical support by patient with slow bone healing after fracture. First Congress of SOTA with international participation. Belgrade. 25-26.09.2008. Book of abstracts.84-85.
The education will be carried out by certified practitioners of laser in the country and abroad, each in their field. The education will be carried out each year in the second half of May month theoretical education network will take place over the internet and practical with compulsory attendance. The all data for educators shall be on web side and price too.